The best nightly skincare routine
Want to build a perfect nightly skincare routine? You’ve come to the right place. Taking you through our totally Tropic evening routine, you’ll uncover everything you need for a dreamy regime.
What does your current nighttime routine look like? Comfy pyjamas, an episode (or two... or three) of your favourite TV show? And a quick brush of your teeth before bed?
But wait. If you want to wake up with a complexion that looks refreshed and bright, you need to make time for your skin.
The thought of rolling out of your warm bed when you’re tired and sleepy might sound unappealing – but looking after your skin only takes a matter of minutes! Just think of it as a nightly facial – a moment of indulgence enjoyed in the comfort of your own home (and your favourite dressing gown).
Why do I need a nightly skincare routine?
Whatever you’ve been doing during the day, dirt, makeup, pollution, sweat and excess sebum will have built up on your skin.
Having an evening skincare regime helps to remove these impurities, reducing the risk of breakouts and leaving skin looking and feeling radiant.
Plus, since your skin regenerates at night, it’s the best time to target specific skin concerns, like dryness, oiliness, fine lines and dark spots.
How should I order my nightly skincare routine?
Building a nightly skincare routine doesn’t have to be complicated (which is handy because we’re usually half asleep by this point anyway).
Once you know which order to apply your products in, you’re flying. And just like magic, here’s our routine rundown:
The first step in any good skincare regime, cleansing is a night-time non-negotiable. Sweeping away dirt, pollution, makeup and SPF, our range of natural, cruelty-free and scientifically-backed natural cleansers help to unclog pores and keep complexions springy.
Don’t know which cleanser to choose? Here are our recommendations:
- If you have no excess oil or visible pores – Smoothing Cleanser complexion purifier
- If you have combination skin/ excess oil and some visible pores – Clear Skies cleansing powder
- If you have a lot of excess oil and visible pores – Clear Slate deep cleansing powder
Remember, a double cleanse is always a good idea – especially if you’ve been wearing makeup.
If you have oily or combination skin, we recommend cleansing with Smoothing Cleanser first, and then switching to Clear Skies or Clear Slate for a supercharging second cleanse. Trust us, your skin will thank you.
Next stop on this night train to dreamy skin? Exfoliation station.
Exfoliating regularly helps to remove any build-up of dead skin cells from the surface of your complexion – keeping your skin clog-free and ready to better absorb the products you apply afterwards.
Our Face Smooth brightening polish is a decongesting dynamo. Gentle bamboo silica spheres unclog pores, while the face-brightening blend of macadamia oil and vitamin E polish your complexion.
But be careful not to over-exfoliate. Using this product once or twice a week will be more than enough. If you have sensitive skin, you might want to skip this step entirely.
The epitome of self-care, masks are a luxurious addition to your nightly routine.
We love a bit of mask magic here at Tropic – that’s why we’ve formulated three mighty masks made with nature’s finest, skin-loving ingredients.
Whether you stick to one mask or try your hand at mask mapping, you can sleep soundly knowing that every corner of your complexion has been nourished.
- Electric Bloom Brightening tightening mask plumps and firms
- Comfort Food Deep Hydration Mask quenches thirsty skin
- New Horizons Blemish- Clearing Mask says so long to spots
So, on the nights you don’t exfoliate, pop on a mask instead! Your skin will feel gorgeously soothed after every application.
Thirst-quenching, soothing and pH-balancing, natural toners are the ultimate skin refreshers – but not all of them are made equal.
If you’re after a multi-award-winning toner that’s bursting with soothing aloe vera juice, regenerating mineral sulfur, and radiance-boosting vitamins, look no further than our Morning Mist Soothing Toning Essence. Multi-award-winning for good reason, it’s the perfect pick-me-up for tired skin.
Using concentrated ingredients to target any skin-ario, our natural serums are the stuff on skincare legend.
Whether you need a hit of hydration, a touch of nourishment or anything in between, these clinically-proven serums are your one-way ticket to gloriously glowing skin.
Which serum suits you?
- Pure Lagoon blemish prevention serum: Blemish-fighting, soothing and balancing, it’s a must-have for combination and spot-prone skin.
- Glow Berry brightening serum: Packed with vitamin C, this best-selling serum boosts radiance and evens out skin tone.
- Rainforest Dew hydration serum: Overflowing with hyaluronic acid that holds 1,000 times its weight in water, your skin will always be soft but never thirsty.
- Fruit Peel resurfacing serum: Getting rid of dead skin cells and dirt, this serum will leave you with a clearer, more refined complexion in no time.
- Ocean Dive pore-clearing serum: Developed for use on targeted areas of oiliness, clogged pores or blemishes, this innovative serum removes any unwanted sebum, dirt and bacteria.
6. Eye Cream
If we’re feeling tired, our eyes usually give the game away. The skin around our eyes is thinner and more delicate than that on the rest of our face, so, it’s more prone to signs of premature ageing.
To keep our under-eyes looking plump, smooth and youthful, we use Eye Dream age-defying overnight butterbalm every evening. Gliding onto the skin, it provides deep hydration, spurs on collagen production, and boosts elasticity, for brighter, bouncier eyes with just a swipe.
So, even on the nights you don't manage your eight hours, you'll look fresh and ready to take on the day!
Is a skincare routine without moisturiser really a skincare routine? Well, no (in our opinion!). The key to sealing in hydration and ensuring skin reaches its full glow-up potential, making time to apply it morning and night is basically your way of telling your skin you love it.
Available in a scented and unscented version, our multi-award-winning Skin Feast nourishing cream concentrate ticks all the boxes. Packed full of 20 different fruit, flower and seed extracts, it feeds your skin with everything it needs to blossom.
Hydrating, brightening and antioxidant-rich, all wrapped up in a creamy blend that sumptuously melts into skin – moisturising just got more luxurious!
A dash of oil – usually the first step in any culinary recipe, but the last one in this recipe for radiant skin.
Working in perfect harmony with your moisturiser, oils provide an extra rush of hydration to prevent any dry patches or flakiness.
- Elixir age-defying omega oil: Packed with omega-rich ingredients that nourish and hydrate the skin, along with vitamin E to stimulate collagen to firm your complexion.
- Super Greens nutrient boost oil: Cold-pressed broccoli, kale and avocado deliver all the vitamins and nutrients needed to make your skin radiant and resilient. Think of it as a superhero cape for your complexion.