TIPS FOR TREATING 'MASKNE' IN LOCKDOWN
We thought we’d give you a little guide with everything you need to know about mask acne (and how to tackle it!)
WHAT IS ‘MASKNE’?
Wearing face coverings in hot weather and warm environments – such as shops or public transport – can lead to issues with the skin underneath and often cause unwanted breakouts. But why?
The reason for an increase in blemishes or redness is due to the skin encountering higher levels of humidity than usual, due to an excess of trapped exhaled air under a face mask. This changes the skin’s microclimate and upsets the skin’s natural microflora, so the pH balance of the skin can change significantly. Due to high moisture under the mask area, skin perspires less, gets clogged easily, and the growth of acne-causing bacteria leads to breakouts.
Susie Ma, Founder and CEO: “I definitely experience ‘maskne’ after even one day out and about in the heat, it really is important to have a plan of action to help avoid blemishes and keep skin glowing and healthy!”
HOW CAN I PREVENT IT?
Choose breathable fabrics such as cotton to help regulate the humidity levels under your mask, and opt for a well-fitting mask with adjustable straps for a comfortable fit.
WHAT CAN I DO TO REDUCE MASKNE FLARE-UPS?
- Double cleanse before and after wearing a mask to ensure any sebum, dirt and makeup is removed.
- Feeding your skin’s natural eco flora is imperative for banishing blemishes. Pure Lagoon blemish prevention serum is our favourite antidote to a day of masked missions – the efficacy of the formulation is like no other! In a 4-week independent clinical study, 81% of testers agreed that the appearance of existing blemishes were minimised.
- You still need to hydrate with an oil or moisturiser but you don’t need to overload on ‘under mask’ areas. Super Greens nutrient boost oil is a fast-absorbing, nutrient-rich oil which will work day and night to keep skin nourished. Our antioxidant-rich Skin Feast nourishing cream concentrate also helps to keep skin healthy with a boost of powerful antioxidants and actives. It provides just the right amount of hydration to keep skin balanced.
- Remedying mask damage with more masks may seem counter-intuitive, but trust us, it works. Our Clear Skin blemish-fighting mask with salicylic acid and ginger extract kills blemish causing bacteria and keeps breakouts at bay. Put this on problem areas once or twice a week for gleaming, balanced skin.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE GOOD TO LOOK OUT FOR?
- Bioflavanoids and prebiotics (Pure Lagoon)
- Ginger (Clear Skin)
Protect yourself and others by wearing a mask, and protect your skin too!