Do you have an exceptional eye for materials and a head for maths? Are you passionate about packaging that puts our planet first and confident in your people skills? If we’ve just described you, then you’re in luck, we’re currently seeking a Packaging Buyer that proudly boasts all these traits. Responsible for managing our existing – and sourcing new – suppliers, as well as building solid and trusted relationships, you’ll ensure your categories are maintained in the most effective and profitable manner.
Taking ownership of the primary packaging sourcing, it is essential you have working knowledge and proven experience of packaging and materials in our key packaging commodities (including glass, lids, recyclable plastic, aluminium and cardboard) and are ready to showcase this.
Healthier. Greener. More empowered – that’s the Infinite Purpose behind everything we do at Tropic, from funding education with every sale we make to all the plant-powered, sustainably sourced goodness we pack into our multi-award-winning, clinically proven skincare and beauty products. We're here to shake things up in this industry for good. Certified vegan, cruelty-free and CarbonNeutral®, we double offset our emissions, because when it comes to sparkling skin and a happier planet, we believe you really can have both!
Our founder and CEO, Susie, started out at just 15 years old, whipping up batches of our Body Smooth in her kitchen, pouring them into jam jars to sell on Greenwich Market to help her mum pay the bills. Flash forward a number of years and a whole lotta green science-backed skincare later, and Susie, with the help of an ever-growing team, has built a business that strives to make a positive impact… there’s just one thing we’re missing, you!
By joining our team, you’ll become part of a dynamic, diverse and talented troupe, with a big family feel to boot! So, if you’re a skincare and planet enthusiast like we all are, believe in doing good beyond beauty and want to shake things up too, come and join our colourful crew – we can’t wait to meet you.
· Develop and maintain strong relationships with new and existing suppliers to ensure competitive, reliable and sustainable sources of supply, whilst communicating with suppliers in an upfront, honest and mutually beneficial manner.
· Manage projects to drive the change of our main primary packaging range through finding reliable suppliers who can deliver business needs.
· Ensure negotiated prices are consistent, competitive and at the best possible terms.
· Develop strong understanding of material commodities, identifying trends, striving to reduce risk and maximise commercial performance.
· Negotiate terms and service level agreements.
· Drive service, quality, and price improvements from existing and new sources of supply.
· Achieve year-on-year cost savings consistent with the Purchasing Budget.
· End-to-end management of the onboarding of new suppliers and products as required.
· Proactive in striving for continuous development, suggesting improvements and ways to drive profit growth and sales through collaboration with our Supply Chain and NPD.
· Work closely with NPD and Design to source the new packaging required.
· Work with our Supply Chain to resolve supply issues/pricing queries as required, to ensure continuity of product supply.
· Work closely with Technical to ensure existing and new suppliers comply with the group's Technical Standards and Practices.
· Arrange and co-ordinate samples for new packaging with suppliers.
· Collate product detail information.
· Manage the approval process for components and packaging, working closely with Technical and providing feedback to suppliers on initial, pre-production and production samples.
· Provide information and specifications to achieve accurate quotations and the final specs for the approved packaging.
· Manage the Junior Buyer.
· Degree qualified with minimum of 4 years’ experience sourcing packaging ideally in a cosmetic brand.
· Able to work at pace with keen attention-to-detail.
· Strong relationship-builder, you’ll be respected by suppliers, peers and Senior Managers alike, able to balance the requirements of different stakeholders.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Proficient in Excel, Word and PowerPoint Office applications.
· Strong organisational skills.
· This role is hybrid and you’ll be expected to work from home as well as our Tropic HQ.
· Expect excellent benefits including flexible working and discount on our Tropic products.
· Your core hours would be 37.5 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
· Office is conveniently located just 3 minutes’ walk from Beddington Lane tram stop, which is connected to East Croydon and Wimbledon - both 20 minutes away.
· Starting salary: £35k per annum