When life gives you lemons it’s rude not to do them justice, so if you’re going to use them for anything, make it these lusciously lemony little numbers.
We’ve teamed up with plant-based food blogger, Amy Lanza, to share our recipe for these Mini Lemon Cupcakes – a sharp and showstopping bake to provide the perfect distraction on a dull and dreary day indoors.
Inspired by the citrusy, sense-soothing ingredients in our festive Uplift Me Joy Drum, this is a recipe that’ll earn you your place on the nice list.
Read on to find out how to make your very own at home.
Mini Vegan Lemon Cupcakes Recipe
Makes: 54 mini cupcakes (or about 18 regular cupcakes)
Time: 20-25 minutes, plus cooling
Ingredients you’ll need:
For the cupcakes:
200ml plant-based milk
6 tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
180ml maple syrup
60ml sunflower oil (or melted coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla essence
170g plain or GF plain flour
130g ground almonds
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the frosting:
200g icing sugar
100g vegan butter or margarine
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
1. Preheat the oven to 160Fan/180*C and grease a mini muffin tin or line with mini cases.
2. Stir together the plant-based milk and lemon juice and leave for 5 minutes. Now whisk in the lemon zest, maple syrup, sunflower oil and vanilla essence.
3. To a large mixing bowl, stir together the plain flour, ground almonds, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Pour in the wet mixture and whisk to combine.
4. Divide between the mini cases, filling each about 2/3 full, about 1 tbsp per mini cupcake and 3 tbsp per normal cupcake.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes for mini cupcakes or 12-15 minutes for regular cupcakes, or until golden and firm to touch, and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool fully on a wire rack.
6. Make the frosting by whisking together all the ingredients either by hand, in a food processor or with an electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Pipe onto the cupcakes and decorate with extra lemon.
Don't forget to share your snaps with us using #LOVETROPIC if you give this recipe a try!